WFUNA supports and encourages youth engagement and participation in the United Nations Associations and United Nations Youth Associations around the world through the WFUNA Youth Network. With this initiative, we want to highlight the contributions of thousands of young people to our organization and share their achievements with a wider audience. In commemoration of International Youth Day 2020, we are launching a call for nominations for WFUNA Young Leader of the Year.
WFUNA Young Leader of the Year
How does it work?
Every year, WFUNA sets a theme and calls for nominations for young people from the WFUNA Youth Network working within that theme. From the nominations, the WFUNA Secretary-General and WFUNA Youth Advisory Council select three young leaders to be interviewed. After each nominee is interviewed, a final candidate will be selected as the WFUNA Young Leader of the Year.
Who is an ideal WFUNA Young Leader of the Year?
A WFUNA Young Leader of the Year has to be able to inspire other youth looking to get involved in global issues.
An ideal candidate shows:
- Inspirational Leadership
- Grassroots work on the theme of the year
- Integrity and commitment towards improving the lives of others
In addition, the WFUNA Young Leader of the Year is:
- Between 15-29 years old
- A member of a United Nations Association or United Nations Youth Association
What is this year's theme?
The WFUNA Young Leader of 2020 theme is focused on highlighting the role young people play in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic and marking the 75th Anniversary of the United Nations amid a moment of uncertainty for the entire world. The challenges are widespread starting from the most immediate health implications to the long term effects to the economy and social structures. With the Sustainable Development Goals to be met in 2030, our response and action as a society will mark the difference in whether we favor unilateralism or multilateralism to respond to global challenges.
We encourage nominations of young people that are working to:
- Participate actively in efforts to respond to the pandemic, either as frontline workers or through indirect support;
- Contribute to challenging negative stereotypes associated with young people seen as spoilers to an effective response;
- Find creative and innovative solutions to continue implementing youth programs amidst challenges posed by COVID-19;
- Make upholding human rights central to recovery plans;
- Strengthen solidarity and cooperation between peoples and nations.
What will I do as WFUNA Young Leader of the Year?
Apart from being able to state proudly that you have been selected as WFUNA Young Leader of 2020, you might be able to:
- Participate in WFUNA’s awareness raising campaigns and advocacy efforts
- Engage in panel discussions, workshops, training sessions facilitated by WFUNA
- Free participation in WFUNA’s programs, such as the Human Rights Youth Training in Geneva, WIMUN, Mission Possible, etc.
August 12 - WFUNA Young Leader of the Year call launches
September 20 – Application closes (deadline)
October 16 – Selection is made by WFUNA Secretary-General and WFUNA Youth Advisory Council
October 26 – WFUNA Young Leader of the Year is announced
Please use this form to nominate a young person: https://tinyurl.com/y2pka46d
If you have any questions send us an email to email@example.com