On May 10, 2022, WFUNA held a UNSC Election Briefing with all UN Security Council candidates seeking election for a non-permanent seat on the Council for the 2023-2024 term. All candidates were ‘clean-slate’ candidates, currently running unopposed.
The briefing was moderated by Mr. Aziel Goulandris, Director of WFUNA's Geneva Office and featured the following country representatives:
- H.E. Mr. Cristian Espinosa Cañizares of Ecuador
- H.E. Mr. Ishikane Kimihiro of Japan
- H.E. Mrs. Vanessa Frazier of Malta
- H.E. Mr. Pedro Comissário Afonso of Mozambique
- H.E. Mrs. Pascale Christine Baeriswyl of Switzerland
Questions were taken from both Member States and civil society organizations and covered a wide breadth of issues including challenges of promoting international peace, increased interaction between the council and General Assembly, Security Council reform, protecting vulnerable groups affected by conflict and more.
Held online to allow for a more global audience, there were 130 participants in attendance. The event was followed live using the hashtag #UNSCElections, see the Twitter recap here.