The nominations for WFUNA Young Leader of the Year award are officially open! WFUNA supports and encourages youth engagement and participation in the United Nations Associations and United Nations Youth Associations around the world through the WFUNA Youth Network. With this initiative, we want to highlight the contributions of thousands of young people to our organization and share their achievements with a wider audience. A WFUNA Young Leader of the Year has to be able to inspire other youth looking to get involved in global issues. This year's theme is focused on highlighting the role young people play in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic and marking the 75th Anniversary of the United Nations amid a moment of uncertainty for the entire world.
Do you know someone who is:
- An inspirational leader
- Grassroots work on the theme of the year
- Integrity and commitment towards improving the lives of others
- Between 15-29 years old
- A member of a United Nations Association or United Nations Youth Association
From the nominations, the WFUNA Secretary-General and WFUNA Youth Advisory Council select three young leaders to be interviewed. After each nominee is interviewed, a final candidate will be selected as the WFUNA Young Leader of the Year.
We encourage nominations of young people that are working to:
- Participate actively in efforts to respond to the pandemic, either as frontline workers or through indirect support;
- Contribute to challenging negative stereotypes associated with young people seen as spoilers to an effective response;
- Find creative and innovative solutions to continue implementing youth programs amidst challenges posed by COVID-19;
- Make upholding human rights central to recovery plans;
- Strengthen solidarity and cooperation between peoples and nations.
The application closes September 20, 2020. Find out more details here.