The Secretary-General has both organizational and substantive roles in WIMUN. Organizationally, the Secretary-General manages the Secretariat to ensure that all project deliverables leading up to the conference and during the event are complete, on-time, and of high quality. Substantively, the Secretary-General will directly oversee the preparation work done by the Secretary of the Economic and Social Council. This position is highly recommended for those with prior experience serving as Secretary-General or in a conference organizing role of another Model UN conference. Specific responsibilities include:
- Attending weekly meetings with WFUNA to keep Secretariat deliverables on track and identify, discuss, and solve any issues preventing completion of deliverables.
- Coordinating meetings, communication, and resources among the Secretariat to ensure that their deliverables are complete, and assuming or delegating responsibilities when they fall behind or are not accounted for.
- Ensuring that the Secretariat team works well together as a team and resolving interpersonal disputes when they arise
- Raising the profile of the conference among the Model UN community by, including but not limited to, promoting the WIMUN Approach, coordinating outreach and marketing efforts among the WIMUN Secretariat, and representing the conference at different Model UN events.
- Managing the execution of all conference logistics and serving as the face of the conference during the event, including at advisors and head delegate meetings.
- Speaking during the conference’s Opening and Closing Ceremonies, as well as briefing simulations if needed
Under-Secretary-General for General Assembly and Conference Management
The USG for General Assembly Affairs and Conference Management is responsible for all substantive aspects of the conference including the preparation of Secretaries, and delegates. In addition, he/she oversees the drafting of the Secretary-General Reports for General Assembly committees. Past experience serving as a Secretary or Chair using the WIMUN Approach is highly recommended for this position, and experience with writing Secretary-General Reports and delivering training are two additional traits that would make a strong candidate. Specific responsibilities include:
- Training staff on the WIMUN Approach's rules of procedure, practices, and scripts, and overseeing the staff’s ability to train the elected Chairs on the same.
- Editing and ensuring that Resource Guides (background guides) written by the Secretaries meet substantive and formatting standards for WIMUN.
- Communicating with the WFUNA Model UN Coordinator to ensure that all aspects of the conference are accurate to the latest iteration of the WIMUN Approach's practices and procedures
Under-Secretary-General for the Department of Management
The USG for the Department of Management is responsible for all logistical aspects of the conference including facilities, logistics plans, and customer service. Past experience serving as a conference organizer overseeing logistics or conference services is highly recommended for this position, and being detail-oriented and organized are two additional traits that would make a strong candidate. Specific responsibilities include:
- Creating an extensive and detailed logistics plan for all Secretariat members to ensure that the conference runs smoothly for the participants at conference and delegate social venues.
- Organizing the hotel rooming requests and assignments for registered groups and individuals.
- Managing conference check-in, typing and printing of draft resolutions, assisting of participants to their proper meeting rooms, customer service table, and safety.
- Setting up and troubleshooting any hardware and software issues including laptops, projectors, projector screens, microphones, printers, copiers, templates, and mail merges.
Under-Secretary-General for the Global Communications
The USG for Global Communications is responsible for all communications of the conference with registered participants. This role requires daily checking of emails to respond to participant inquiries. Past experience serving as a conference organizer in a marketing, public relations, external relations, or customer service role is highly recommended for this position, and reliable and clear communication skills would make for a strong candidate. Specific responsibilities include:
- Handling the registration process through the registration software including country assignments, add/drops, and invoices.
- Serving as the liaison between the conference and the registered participants.
- Managing the WIMUN email account and replying to participant inquiries on a daily basis.
- Keeping participants informed of all updates and materials needed to prepare for the conference such as webinars, pre-arrival packets, photo release forms, liability waivers, and housing requests through email updates.
Assistant-Secretary-General for the Global Communications
The ASG for Global Communications is responsible for the creation of media before and during the conference as well as pre-conference marketing. Past experience serving as a conference organizer in a marketing, social media, or media creation role is highly recommended for this position, and reliable and clear communication skills would make for a strong candidate. Specific responsibilities include:
- Keeping participants informed of all updates and materials needed to prepare for the conference such as webinars, pre-arrival packets, photo release forms, liability waivers, and housing requests through social media updates.
- Managing updates to the website and social media and assisting with any WFUNA marketing campaigns to recruit delegates.
- Producing conference photos, a Closing Ceremonies video, and social media content before and during the conference.